My favorite liver recipe is a Layered Liver Cake. It's a traditional Russian/Ukrainian dish. It is often served as an appetizer on various celebrations.
- 3/4 lb beef liver
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 milk
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 2-3 onions
- 2-3 carrots
- 3 garlic cloves
- home made mayonnaise
- olive oil
- Fresh dill to taste
- Wash your liver and put it into a food processor
- Add 2 eggs, 1/3 cup of buckwheat flour, 1/2 cup milk, salt to the liver and turn the processor on, leave it until the mixture forms into a smooth paste.
- Heat your non stick pan. Add a little bit of oil and pour some of the liver mixture onto the pan so it forms a pancake. When the pancake starts changing color, flip it. I use a frying pan about 10-11 inches in diameter.
- Grate carrots on a medium grater. Mince onions.
- Saute onions and carrots in olive oil.
- Add squeezed garlic to the mayonnaise.
- Spread the mayo mixture onto each liver pancake. Spread carrot and onion mix over. Cover with next pancake and repeat with mayo-garlic and onion-carrots, until last pancake is on, then just finish it up with remaining of the mayo mix.
- Let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Serve cold.